Hollow Fiber TFF
Gentle and Fast Separation. Increase Recoveries. Decrease Risk.
In certain biopharmaceutical production processes, the TFF step has special requirements leading to low recovery, including clogging, excessive stress, shear sensitivity of the target molecule, or high viscosity.
Sartorius Hollow Fiber TFF modules can help improve recovery by being able to process shear-sensitive molecules gently during separation and at the same time handle high biomass and high cell densities.
Hollow Fiber TFF incorporate a robust, fully inhouse produced membrane. Since it's ready-to-use, it eliminates the need of pre-flushing which saves time and cost.
Watch this video to find out more about the time and cost benefits that Sartorius' singe-use Hollow Fiber filters can offer and how they can help to improve your processes.
The macro-void-free hollow fiber membrane and open channel flow path reduce shear stresses and enable efficient separation.
Glycerin free membrane, no expensive WFI for pre-flushing required.
A range of pore sizes and molecular weight cutoffs support diverse needs. Conditions established at pilot-scale apply to process-scale. Customized assemblies are available with our Single-use Line.
In certain biopharmaceutical production processes, Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF) step has special requirements (due to clogging, shear sensitivity or high biomass or viscosity) leading to low recovery and yield. Sartorius Hollow Fiber TFF modules can help improve recovery by being able to process:
Harvest or Clarification of Fermentation broth and cell culture
- Hollow Fiber with microfiltration membranes can be used as single-use cell clarification/microbial clarification under high particle load (biomass/cell density) conditions.
- Recommendation: Pore size available from 0.1 µm, 0.2 µm, 0.45 µm & Fiber ID 0.5 mm, 1.0 mm
Shear Sensitive Molecules
- Large cut-off Ultrafilters
- Concentration/Diafiltration of shear sensitive molecules e.g. Lentiviruses, big enveloped viruses, exosomes, Lipid Nanoparticle (LNP), pDNA
- Recommendation: Molecular weight cut-off (MWCO) Ultrafiltration membranes up to 750kDa & Fiber ID 0.5 mm, 1.0 mm.
Highly Concentrated Feed Stream
- Hollow Fiber technology is ideally suitable for high viscosity biopharmaceuticals used in subcutaneous applications (protein concentration above 200g/l.)
- Recommendation: MWCO Ultrafiltration membranes up to 750kDa & Fiber ID 0.5 mm, 1.0 mm.
Tangible Time Saved with Single-Use TFF
Superior Filtration, Simple Setup
Sartorius Hollow Fiber TFF modules are made of mPES and available in different sizes, surface area and module diameters to provide linear scale-up from laboratory to manufacturing scale. They are the ideal solution to save money, time, and space. Compared to reusable setups, single-use TFF can save up to 50% of facility time by eliminating rinsing, integrity testing, normalized water permeability (NWP) testing, cleaning, consumable removal, and storage operations.
Available in Assembly
10 mL up to 1500 L
10 mL up to 250 L
10 mL up to 1500 L
Pore Sizes &
0.1 µm, 0.2 µm, 0.45 µm;
0.5 mm, 1.0 mm
CrossflowExpert™ Calculators - Filtration Made Simple
CrossflowExpert™ calculators simplify hollow fiber module selection and operation conditions needed to perform crossflow filtration application. Enter your data and the calculator will solve for the application.
- Module Size
- Shear Rate
- Process Time
- Water Flux
Complete Hollow Fiber TFF Modules Offering
The Single-use Line offers a true ready-to-use TFF module. These modules are:
- Delivered gamma-irradiated
- Integrity Tested
- Available in fully closed assemblies
The Re-use Line modules can be easily cleaned after each use and stored.
- Multi-use applications
The Steamer Line modules are autoclavable. The modules are delivered gamma-irradiated and ready-to-use.
- Flexibility to build your own assemblies
- Aseptic applications
- Scalable from 52 cm2 to 2.5 m2
Single-Use Hollow Fibers Assemblies
Customize Hollow Fibers Assemblies
Our Single-use Line products allow you to design complete assemblies that provide all components needed for a fully integrated TFF solution. A customized Flow Assembly combines the Single-use Line Hollow Fiber TFF module of your choice with single-use pump heads; feed, retentate and permeate tubing; single-use pressure sensors; transducers; flow sensors and meters; and aseptic connectors, plugs or bags.
- A range of batch volumes, from 10 mL up to 1500 L
- Minimal facility footprint — horizontal or vertical setup
- Gamma-irradiated to reduce the risk of cross-contamination
- Pre-assembled and ready-to-use
- No cleaning validation required
Accessories to Maximize the Value of Hollow Fiber TFF Modules
Consult with Sartorius experts to design a fully customized separation system incorporating our hollow fiber (hollow fibre, HF) TFF modules. Or build your own solution using our full portfolio of products and purpose-built accessories, which include monitoring and control systems, connector kits, and stands and holders.
Take advantage of vertical lab and production space with stainless steel Flow Stands and Flow Stand holders to secure your hollow fiber TFF modules. The Flow Stands come with easy-to-use handles to quickly adjust the height of your module or assembly.
- Optimize placement of modules or assemblies on a lab bench or in a process system
- Holders can be used interchangeably
- Stands and holders sold separately
Flow Connector Kits are designed specifically to connect hollow fiber TFF modules to Flow Assemblies. The kits can include the following, as needed:
- Pinch valves
- Luer fittings
- Silicone gaskets
- Single-use pressure sensors to monitor transmembrane pressure (TMP)